status
Denis Kenzior
2018-09-27 16:52:16 UTC
Hi Giacinto,
For the gemaltomodem/gprs-context, it is not clear how to proceed. Would
you kindly give some suggestion other than "these modules don't exist in
my world"?
I did give you a suggestion on how to proceed. Lets get the sane ones
supported first. That should be mostly easy.

For the insane ones we will need to figure something else out. For
example, it may be that we should just have oFono initiate the DHCP
request itself for these devices. The driver can then control both DHCP
and context activation status and would be able to sanely tell the core
what is going on. We already have DHCP code available in ConnMan that
could be ported to oFono, or more likely finish DHCP support in ell and
use that.

Maybe there are simpler / better approaches that could be tried as well.
But the current proposal for these insane devices is just not going to
work.

Regards,
-Denis
Daniel Wagner
2018-09-28 07:45:57 UTC

On 27/09/2018 18:52, Denis Kenzior wrote:>> For the
gemaltomodem/gprs-context, it is not clear how to proceed. Would
you kindly give some suggestion other than "these modules don't exist
in my world"?
I did give you a suggestion on how to proceed.  Lets get the sane ones
supported first.  That should be mostly easy.
For the insane ones we will need to figure something else out.  For
example, it may be that we should just have oFono initiate the DHCP
request itself for these devices.  The driver can then control both DHCP
and context activation status and would be able to sanely tell the core
what is going on.  We already have DHCP code available in ConnMan that
could be ported to oFono, or more likely finish DHCP support in ell and
use that.
While we have DHCP code in ConnMan I wouldn't recommend to port it as it
is. Patrik reimplemented DHCP for systemd-netword using ConnMan's
version as blueprint. That code looks much saner. Propably, it would
make sense to carve out a library (using ELL as support library) from
the systemd's version and make ConnMan and oFono depending on it.

Thanks,
Daniel
Denis Kenzior
2018-09-28 14:04:25 UTC
Hi Daniel,
Post by Daniel Wagner
While we have DHCP code in ConnMan I wouldn't recommend to port it as it
is. Patrik reimplemented DHCP for systemd-netword using ConnMan's
version as blueprint. That code looks much saner. Propably, it would
make sense to carve out a library (using ELL as support library) from
the systemd's version and make ConnMan and oFono depending on it.
Yep, I think ell is the logical place for it. I have started putting
together the basics for DHCP based on ideas in ConnMan/systemd and
trying a few new ideas as well. The approach in systemd was a bit
heavy-handed for my taste with the use of BPFs flying everywhere. I
still need to see whether a simpler approach would be workable, but have
been busy elsewhere.

Regards,
-Denis